DV Program Process With USAGC

5 Steps for Eligibility

  • Determine if You (or Your Spouse) are Eligible

  • To be eligible for the visa Program, you must:

    • Be a native (born in) a qualifying (visa eligible) country AND
    • Have at least a secondary school education or its equivalent
    • OR, you must have at least two years of training or experience in a skilled occupation or trade within the past 5 years. Your occupation must require at least two years of training or experience to qualify.

    The list of visa ineligible countries is listed under requierments. If you were born in a visa ineligible country, you cannot apply unless you have either a spouse from an eligible country, or in rare instances, have parents who were born in eligible countries and who were not residents of your country of birth when you were born. For example, your parents might have lived temporarily in the ineligible country because of their jobs.

  • Complete the Electronic Diversity Visa Entry (EDV) Form

  • If either you or your spouse is eligible, our immigration personal agents will make sure to complete the Electronic Diversity Visa (EDV) Entry Form.

    The State Department will display an electronic confirmation number when we complete your entry.

    The State Department's Kentucky Consular Center (KCC) NO LONGER NOTIFIES WINNERS BY POSTAL MAIL as in previous lotteries. However, DV-2015 entrants can check the status of their entry beginning May 1, 2014 at the E-DV website to find out if their entry was or was not selected. This is one of many advantages you get when applying with USAGC. We check the application for you and notify you personally by phone, email and postal mail.

  • If You Win, Choose Whether to Adjust Status in the U.S. or Apply for an Immigrant Visa Outside the U.S.

  • If you are already living in the U.S. you usually have the choice either to apply to adjust status (request an immigrant visa to get your green card) in the U.S., or to return to your home country and be interviewed for an immigrant visa (to get your green card) at a U.S. Consulate. If you are a Program winner living inside the U.S., we will ask our immigration attorney to contact you in order to see if you are eligible to submit an application to adjust status (Form I-485 and accompanying forms and documents) to get your green card. You will need professional help to make this choice.


    Our immigration attorney will Error! Reference source not found for tips and additional information.

    If you are living outside the U.S., you will submit an immigrant visa application to the Kentucky Consular Center (in Kentucky, USA), who will forward it to the U.S. Consulate in your home country. This will be discussed in detail with our immigration attorney, Error! Reference source not found.. If there is not a U.S. Consulate in your home country, then the Kentucky Consular Center will send your immigrant visa application to the closest U.S. Consulate.

  • Prepare for Your Interview

  • USAGC will help you make sure your application arrives at the destination in a timely manner. After your application is received, you will be scheduled for an immigrant visa/green card interview with an examining officer. If you filed to adjust status to a green card holder in the United States, you will be interviewed by a USCIS Immigration Officer. If you requested an immigrant visa/green card from outside of the U.S., you will be interviewed by a Consular Officer at a U.S. Consulate abroad. The examining officer will confirm the information you provide and approve or deny your application, usually on the same day as the interview

  • If Your Immigrant Visa is Approved Enter the U.S. Within Six Months

  • If you are outside the U.S. and your immigrant visa is approved, you must enter the U.S. within six months of receiving your immigrant visa or you will lose it. Entering the U.S. with an immigrant visa triggers the mailing of your green card to you at your new American address. If you are already inside the U.S. and your adjustment of status is approved, you will receive your green card in the mail.